Thursday, June 21, 2007

The First Day of Summer, 2007

But oh, so much cooler here than home! Sorry to rub it in, y'all down in the torpid swampland.
Well, loyal halpinslondonblog readers, here we are again. Our trip was easier this time around. No delayed flights, no lost luggage arriving after four days all wet. I even made a friend on the flight to Atlanta, a friend of a friend whose name I won't mention because she was kind enough to give me two of her seditives, one for going and one for returning overseas. In exchange, at her request, I sent a postcard to her summer home in Massachusettes.
Now about the new flat.....This is not the flat I knew and loved in Chelsea. We are living in the shadows of the King's Cross/St.Pancras Station. (Yes, the same St. Pancras about whom we gave so much thought last summer). It is a less posh area along the Regents Canal. The owner is Tara Smith and she is the hairdresser to the stars, most recently working on Quentin Tarantino's latest film. It appears that this area is kinda up-and-coming chic, where old canalside warehouses are being converted into condos. I admit, at first I felt lonely for the quiet, stately atmosphere of Chelsea. This condo is small, modern, high tech, metallic somehow. It didn't feel right!
But now I am adapting to it just fine. It is quite nice to have the canal to walk beside for miles and miles. I walked well past Regent's Park yesterday, jogging part way, no automobiles to worry about or street crossings where not only do you have to know your left from your right (which is hard for some of us) but you have to remember which way to look because the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road, you'll recall.
We attended a great play called The Drowsy Chaperone. As the promoters put it, some plays you know will be great just by the name. This isn't one of them. This play was recommended to us by a lawyer and his partner who sat next to me at the ACLU awards banquet after they learned I love musical theater. I wish I could find them to say thanks, because I loved this play. Just loved it. Yes, really, really loved it to the bottom of my toes. Stanley, honest to God, slept through it!!! Well, okay, he woke up once in a while, after I elbowed him severely out of my finely honed sensitivity to the performers' feelings. Maybe I can take photos of the program for this blog. I know you halpinslondonblog readers would be thrilled to see it. After all, if you're still with me this long, you'll enjoy anything!

5 Comments:

Blogger LisaPal said...

Hallo, big sister!

I enjoyed your first post and so did Mom. The colourful account of your evening at the theatre evoked powerful images, complete with audio of Stanley snoring. I can only imagine this as the defining stimulus of elbow jabbing. Though I'm sure it's of little consolation, Renard has slept audibly through at least the last four of our movie theatre viewings (and sadly, that covers a period of almost 2 years.) It's probably a blessing that I have no hope of ever getting him into a theatre for a musical, as I can't even get him to watch West Side Story on DVD.

Mom says to be sure to give her regards to the Queen when you visit the palace and to be sure to check out the royal loo. She also wants another candid picture of that couple with the Royal Scaminia for her collection. The one she has now is a real conversation starter.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

more photos!

Us young people have short attention spans, and need multimedia!

7:01 AM  
Blogger michael said...

We are so delighted to see you are taking the time to post your little escapades in London. I could not finish your rambling description of your lovely, but less-than-"posh" place next to the canal because I had to spread some boric acid in the garage, but I'm sure some day it will be made into an epic movie perhaps with Mary Steenbergen and John Lithgow. I will renew my membership at Blockbuster just to see it!!! I'm sure you know that we Americans have unlimited fascination with Royalty even though most of us are aware that they are really just snotty and pompous welfare recipients. I must go now now. It is my turn to give Zac his strawberry yogurt enema, but I just can't wait to read more when I get some spare time.

Your Brother

PS- I'm thinking about doing a blog myself. I have been to Mexico you know and it was quite an experience dealing with the language barrier. It will be very entertaining

8:29 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, coach outlet, true religion outlet, north face, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, michael kors, nike tn, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, michael kors, hollister pas cher, new balance, guess pas cher, sac hermes, hollister uk, nike roshe run uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, true religion outlet, burberry outlet, ray ban uk, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, mulberry uk, north face uk, polo lacoste, true religion jeans, ralph lauren uk, lululemon canada, timberland pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, vans pas cher, kate spade, nike air force, nike air max, nike air max uk, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, kate spade outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, replica handbags

5:46 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mcm handbags, baseball bats, jimmy choo outlet, north face outlet, ralph lauren, mont blanc pens, timberland boots, babyliss, hollister clothing, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, celine handbags, longchamp uk, abercrombie and fitch, instyler, ghd hair, chi flat iron, soccer shoes, nike trainers uk, louboutin, p90x workout, nike air max, converse outlet, vans, beats by dre, soccer jerseys, giuseppe zanotti outlet, wedding dresses, nike huaraches, hollister, ray ban, lululemon, insanity workout, oakley, reebok outlet, gucci, mac cosmetics, asics running shoes, hollister, north face outlet, bottega veneta, nike air max, hermes belt, converse, new balance shoes, herve leger, nike roshe run, iphone cases, valentino shoes, vans outlet

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home